Today is my birthday. Well, my American birthday according to the solar calendar, at least.
Actually, it's easy to get confused about my age here. Yesterday I was 22 (American age) and 24 (Korean age). Today I am 23 (American age), but still 24 (Korean age). Confused yet?
Here is how the Korean age system works:
You are 1 year old when you are born. Then on January 1, everyone turns another year older. So, for example, if you are born on December 31, you are 1 year old. Then the next day you become 2 years old. Interesting, huh? So on January 1, I will become 25 (Korean age), but still remain 23 (American age).
To be quite honest, I'm never really quite sure how old I am. I have to think for a moment before I tell anyone my age. And now that I think about it, I won't actually turn 23 for another couple of hours due to the time difference. (I was born at 8am, which is 10pm here.)
Hmmm...perhaps I am having an identity crisis. I'm simultaneously two different ages. I'm not always sure I can handle it. But at least I remain in the double digits.
And if I decide to be my Korean age, then I will decrease in age when I return to the U.S. Hmmm...I guess that's not all bad!
Wednesday, August 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
The age thing with Asians was brought to my attention because some of the Chinese girls don't look 16 which is the requirement for Olympic gymnastics, but according to the way their birth certificates read they are 16. I know that race horses are aged that way and serious race breeders want their colts to be born in January so they will be more mature when they are in competition as 2 or 3 year olds. Ah! the cultural differences we encounter when we travel. Love, and Prayers, Dee
Post a Comment