I have 40 weeks left in my teaching contract. That's 40 weeks in Korea, 40 weeks to eat rice and kimchi, and 40 weeks to fight my way onto the subway after work at night.
Wow. I have no other word to describe my feeling.
I recently told Karen (another teacher) about my countdown. She pondered the thought for a moment and said, "You know, Alice, 40 is a pretty symbolic number."
Hmmm... That's true. Jesus was tempted in the desert for 40 days. It rained for 40 days and 40 nights. The Israelites wandered in the desert for 40 years. It seems to me that nothing easy happens in sets of 40. I told Karen that. She just smiled one of her patient smiles and said, "But I think your 40 weeks will be good."
Well, I didn't say anything about them being not good. I just said they won't be easy.
It's kind of like kimchi. Quite honestly, there's nothing pleasant about 40 more weeks of kimchi. But if kimchi is as healthy as they say, I'll be in the best shape of my life by the time I leave!
Thursday, August 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I don't know what your deal is with kimchi. I think it can be quite tasty! :)
Just wanted to give you a note of encouragement. 40 may stand for hard things, but I agree that it doesn't mean they won't be good things. These next 40 weeks will have a profound effect on the next 40 years of your life, but you won't be able to see it until you get there.Keep up the good work. You're in my prayers.
Dee
alice!! Wow 40 more weeks?? Will you come to japan for another 40 weeks once your duty is over in Korea, hehe;)?? We have plenty of people wanting you here, too!!
shihoko
Post a Comment