The other night, as I was in the subway station waiting for my train to come, a man came up to me, looked me in the eye, and in distinct English loudly said, "Sixteen years I almost die." He repeated this about five or six more times before I realized he simply wasn't going to let me ignore him. I rolled my eyes, thinking he was going to ask me for money or some kind of favor.
"You almost died 16 years ago?" I repeated his statement in question form.
The man smiled widely, showing his ghastly crooked teeth, and began to tell me about how Jesus saved his life 16 years ago. He talked about humans and God and then stuck his palm in front of my face and started to trace Chinese characters on it, explaining to me how the symbol for "God" contains a bent line for Adam's rib. (Or something like that...) It was quite odd.
But I wonder what the world would be like if all Christians shared the same shameless faith as this man. What if we all started walking up to strangers in the train stations just to say, "Look at me--I'm a miracle!" What if we couldn't contain our enthusiasm?
The man stayed on the platform as I got onto the train, and behind me I could hear him belting out a loud stream of "hallelujahs." It was strange, to be sure. (And I'm personally convinced that he must have been at least a little drunk.) But I was laughing inside and couldn't help but wonder "What if..."
Tuesday, August 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment