Sunday, November 23, 2008

Kimchi Party

You know, I have to pat myself on the back every once in awhile because I am now able to successfully (and voluntarily!) eat kimchi. As a person who dislikes pickled food in general, this is quite the feat for me. I even had kimchi for breakfast this morning with my roommate!

Last Friday the teachers and staff at my school had a kimchi-making party. It was quite the experience. I knew there were a lot of ingredients, but there were some things I wasn't expecting--like the pickled shrimp, for instance. :) There was also garlic, red pepper powder (in bulk), onion, green onion, radish, some special sauce, another vegetable I don't know the English name for, and a few other nameless things in English.

First you mix these ingredients together to create a paste. Then you spread the paste on some already pickled/fermented cabbages. The most important part of this process is wearing hot pink gloves! :) Anyway, here's a visual for how the creation of this Korean delicacy comes about:

No comments: