Monday, October 13, 2008

Busan

My co-workers and I went on a staff retreat to Busan a little over a week ago. Busan is the second-largest city in Korea located on the southern tip of the peninsula. In some places on a clear day, you can see all the way to Japan. Pretty amazing, huh?

Our trip was short (just a long weekend), and I was pretty well exhausted throughout most of it--and for the whole next week! (We drove through the night to get there, arrived at 6am, and I'd only managed to sleep about 5-10 minutes.) But Busan was beautiful, nevertheless.

We sat on the beach, walked through the fish market, were interviewed for TV during an international film festival, and caught glimpses of a few Korean heartthrob movie stars.

Sometimes I think it's too bad that I'm not working in Busan instead of Seoul. I kind of like the coast. There's a little more room to breathe there. And like I said earlier (or meant to say), there's only about 4-5 million people (about 1/5 the size of the Seoul metropolitan area). I won't even calculate how many of my hometowns could fit into that size! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Alice,
Just got caught up with your musings and wanted to say that it sounds like I want to be an ajumma when I grow up, but maybe I'm already too late. Guess I'll settle for "Grammie" status. I was impressed with your comments about the commitment of parents to their children's education. Wonder what would happen here if it were the same? Seems to me that Asian parents put a lot of emphasis on their children and provide support, encouragement, pressure for that. Guess we all just do what we think is best and then leave it in the hands of God. Love and prayers continue. Dee